The secret to garlic bread that's neither too greasy nor too dry is having the correct proportion of butter to bread, so we give specific dimensions for the Italian loaf. If yours is a different size, you'll need to adjust the amount of garlic butter accordingly.
- 2 Tsp Finely Chopped Garlic
- 1/2 Stick (1/4 Cup) Unsalted Butter - Softened
- 1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Finely Chopped Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley
- 1 15"x3.5" Loaf Italian Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mince and mash garlic to a paste with a rounded 1/4 Tsp salt using a heavy knife. Stir together butter, oil, and garlic paste in a bowl until smooth, then stir in parsley.
- Without cutting completely through bottom, cut bread diagonally into 1" thick slices with a serrated knife, then spread garlic butter between slices.
- Wrap loaf in foil and bake in middle of the oven for ~15 minutes. Open foil and bake 5 more minutes.
- Bread can be spread with garlic butter 8 hours ahead and chilled, wrapped in foil. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.
- For a brighter flavor, you can substitute 1 Tbs finely chopped fresh basil for 1 Tbs of Parsley