Penne Pasta with Tomatoes, Olives, Lemon & Basil
- 1-1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, 1 or more varieties
- 3 tablespoons finely diced shallot or onion
- 3 tablespoons torn basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 20 Nicoise olives, pitted and chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pinches of red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- 16 ounces penne, conchiglie, or rigatoni
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Plunge in the tomatoes for 10 seconds, then peel, halve gently squeeze out the seeds, and chop into 1/2-inch pieces. Combine the tomatoes in a large bowl with the shallot, basil, parsley, olives, lemon zest, garlic, pepper flakes, and oil. (This sauce can sit for and hour before being used.)
- Add salt to the boiling water and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and add it to the tomatoes.
- Toss gently with a wide rubber scraper. Divide among pasta plates, season with pepper, and serve.