Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato Bucatini
Garlic Bread Crumbs
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Cup French Bread Cubes
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 2 Slices Thick-Sliced Bacon - Diced
- 1 Cup Grape Tomatoes - Halved
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Thinly Sliced Leek
- 1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 4 oz Dry Bucatini Pasta or Spaghetti
- 1 Cup Fresh Spinach Leaves
- 1/4 Tsp Minced Fresh Thyme (Or a Pinch of Dried Thyme)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the bucatini
- Mince garlic for the bread crumbs in a food processor. Add cubed bread, and process until coarse. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium; add crumbs and toast until golden (3-4 minutes), stirring often. Season with salt and set aside.
- Saute bacon for the pasta in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook until crisp, then drain pieces on a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 1 Tbs of drippings.
- Carmelize the tomatoes and sugar in the drippings over medium heat. Cook until tomatoes begin to brown (~5 minutes). Add leeks; saute until wilted (3-4 minutes).
- Deglaze skillet with wine; simmer until liquid is nearly evaporated. Add the broth, vinegar and pepper flakes. Simmer until liquid is reduced by a third (~5 minutes).
- Cook bucatini in boiling water according to package directions. Add spinach, thyme, and bacon pieces to sauce. Transfer cooked pasta from cooking water to the skillet using tongs. Toss to coat with sauce. Season with salt, then divide pasta between plates. Sprinkle pasta with reserved bacon pieces and bread crumbs before serving.
- 1/4 lb Butter
- 1 Cup Cream
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Cup Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Pepper