Grilled Turkey Burger w/ Cheddar & Smoky Ailoi
A simple Moroccan-spiced aioli is mixed in with the ground turkey to keep the burgers moist and give them tons of flavor.
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Plus Additional for Brushing
- 2 Tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1.5 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Garlic Clove - Pressed
- 1 lb Ground Dark-Meat Turkey
- 4 1/3" Thick Red Onion Slices
- 1 Large or 2 Small Red Bell Peppers - Quartered
- 4 Slices White Cheddar Cheese or Monterey Jack Cheese
- 4 Sesame-Seed Hamburger Bunds
- Pickle Wedges
- Corn Chips
- Toast cumin seeds and coriander seeds in small skillet over medium-high heat until aromatic and slightly darker in color, shaking skillet often, about 1.5 minutes. Cool. Finely grind toasted seeds in spice grinder or in mortar with pestle. Whisk mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, smoked paprika, garlic, and ground spices in small bowl. Season aioli to taste with salt & pepper. DO AHEAD - Aioli can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- Place turkey in medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons aioli; mix gently. Using damp hands, divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, then form each into scant 3/4" thick patty, about 3.5" in diameter. Using thumb, make small indentation in center of each burger. DO AHEAD - Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Sprinkle burgers with salt & pepper. Brush onion slices and bell pepper pieces with oil; sprinkle with salt & pepper. Grill onions and bell peppers until soft & charred, about 4 minutes per side.
- Grill turkey burgers 5 minutes. Turn over; grill until almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. Top each burger with 1 cheese slice and grill until meat is cooked through and cheese melts, about 1 minute longer. Place 1 turkey burger on each of 4 bun bottoms. Arrange grilled red pepper pieces, then grilled red onion slices. Top each with a dollop of aioli and some arugula. Cover burgers with bun tops and serve with pickle wedges and corn chips.
Yield: 4 Servings
Time: ~40 Minutes