Carmelized Onion Tartlets
- 2 Cups Very Thinly Sliced Onion (~2 Onions)
- 1-1/2 Tbs Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbs Water
- 3/8 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 9" Refrigerated Pie Shell (From 15-oz Pckg)
- 3 Tbs Creme Fraiche at Room Temperature
- 1-1/2 Tsp Finely Chopped Fresh Chives
- Special Equipment:
- 2-1/4" Round Cookie Cutter
- Mini-Muffin Pan with 12 (1/8-Cup) Muffin Cups
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook onion, butter, water, salt, and pepper, covered, in a 10" heavy skillet over moderately low heat (~10 minutes). Remove lid and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is deep golden brown and very tender (~25 minutes).
- While onion cooks, roll out dough to slightly less than 1/8" thick. Cut out 12 rounds with cutter and lightly press each into a mini-muffin cup. Bake until pale golden (10-12 minutes). Remove the tartlet shells from muffin pan.
- Stir together creme fraiche and chives and divide among shells, then top with carmelized onions.
Gourmet (October, 2004)