Grilled Sausage with Summer Squash, Fresh Herbs & Olives
- 1-1/2 lbs Mixed Summer Squash - Cut into 1" Chunks
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 lb Italian Sausage Links - Chicken or Pork
- 1/3 Cup Mixed Herbs (e.g. Cilantro, Parsley, Mint & Basil) - Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Pitted Kalamata Olives - Halved
- 1 Tbs Capers
- Squeeze of Fresh Lemon Juice
*Other summer vegetables such as bell peppers, eggplant or sweet onions can be added to the mix.
- Prepare a medium-hot grill.
- Toss the squash with the olive oil in a medium bowl; season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Grill the squash and the sausage, turning frequently, until the squash is just tender and the sausage is cooked through (~8-12 minutes). Cut the sausage into 1" chunks. Toss the squash and sausage with the herbs, olives and capers. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Grilled ciabatta bread is a nice accompaniment.
- Leftover sausage and vegetables is wonderful served over vinaigrette dressed romaine leaves, topped with avocado, feta and pine nuts.
Fine Cooking (September 2008)