Basic Chicken Stock
- 3 lbs. Chicken Backs & Necks & Gizzards
- 4 Ribs Celery - Coarsely Chopped
- 6 Carrots - Unpeeled, Sliced Thick
- 2 Yellow Onions - Peeled & Quartered
- 8 Peppercorns
- Place the chicken backs and necks in a soup pot and rinse with very hot tap water. Drain and add 3 quarts of fresh cold water to the pot, along with the other ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 hours. Be sure to skim the froth that forms when the pot first comes to a simmer.
- The stock will taste a bit flat to you since it has no salt. Salt will be added when you use the stock in other recipes.