Smoked Turkey Legs
- 4 Turkey Legs
- 1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Cup Molasses
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- Bunch of Sage Leaves
- Bunch of Thyme
- Whole Black Peppercorns
- Pink Curing Salt (Prauge Powder #1) - Optional
- Brine -- In a small pot, combine 1 quarter of water, salt, molasses, garlic, sage leaves, thyme and peppercorns. Bring up to a light simmer for ~10 minutes. Turn heat off. Add pink curing salt if desired. Let cool, then refrigerate for a few hours. After the brine is chilled, put turkey legs and brine in a 1 gallon ziplog bag. Let cure in the refrigerator for 18-24 hours. 1-2 times during the process flip the legs over.
- Cooking -
- Set the grill up for indirect heat. Put in 1 large chunk of desired wood in for smoke (we used Pecan).
- Bring the grill up to ~225 degrees Farenheit. Cook the legs for ~45 minutes.
- Remove the turkey legs, and bring the grill temperature up to ~425 degrees Farenheit. Put the turkey legs back on the grill and cook for an additional ~25 minutes until the internal temperature is 165-170 degrees Farenheit.
- Let the rest for 20 minutes after cooking, tent them with foil.