La Madeleine Tomato Basil Soup
- 4 Cups Tomatoes (About 8-10 Medium Size) - Peeled, Cored & Chopped; or 4 Cups Canned Whole Tomatoes Crushed
- 4 Cups Tomato Juice
- 12-14 Fresh Basil Leaves Chopped, Plus Additional For Garnish
- 1 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Unsalted Butter - Softened
- 1/4 Tsp. Cracked Black Pepper
- Salt to Taste
- Crusty Bread (Optional)
- Combine tomatoes and juice in saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes over medium-low heat. Cool slightly, then place in a blender or food processor. Add basil and process to purée; this will have to be done in batches.
- Return mixture to saucepan. Add cream and butter. Stir over low heat until butter and cream are incorporated. Stir in salt and pepper before serving. Garnish with more fresh basil and serve with fresh, crusty bread. Makes 8 servings.