Individual Chocolate Croissant Bread Puddings
- 2 Large Croissants (about 6 ounces total) - cut into 1/2" cubes
- 5 ounces bittersweet (not sweetened) or semisweet chocolate - chopped
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 vanilla bean - split lengthwise
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Arrange croissant cubes on large baking sheet
- Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F
- Divide chocolate among six 3/4 cup custard cups. Top with croissant cubes, dividing equally.
- Pour 2 cups cream into heavy medium saucepan. Scrape seed from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Discard vanilla bean. Pour custard over chocolate and croissants, dividing equally.
- Place cups in large baking pan. Add enough water to baking pan to come halfway up sides of cups. Bake puddings until set, about 40 minutes.
- Remove from water; cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.