Tortilla and Black Bean Pie
- 4 10" Flour Trtillas
- 2 Tbs Canola Oil
- 1 Large Onion - Diced
- 1 Jalapeño Chile - Minced (Remove Seeds and Ribs for Less Heat)
- 2 Garlic Cloves - Minced
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- Coarse Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Cans (15-oz Each) Black Beans - Drained and Rinsed
- 12 oz Beer or 1-1/2 Cups Water
- 1 10-oz Pckg Frozen Corn
- 4 Scallions, Thinly Sliced, Plus More for Garnish
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese, Shredded (2-1/2 Cups)
- Preheat oven to 400°. With a paring knife, trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan. Use the bottom of the pan as a guide. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño, garlic, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add beans and beer, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in corn and scallions, and remove from heat. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Fit a trimmed tortilla in bottom of springform pan; layer with 1/4 of the beans and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat three times, using 1 cup cheese on top layer. Bake until cheese melts, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove side of pan; sprinkle pie with scallions. To serve, slice into wedges.
Martha Stewart (2003)