- 1 Glass Jar -- Tall and Wide (e.g. 500 ml Mason Jar)
- Immersion Blender
- One Whole Large Or Extra-Large Fresh Egg (apparently size does matter here. Make sure you use a large or extra large egg, else you might need to add an extra one)
- One Cup Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil***
- The Juice of Half A Lemon or Lime (Approximately 2-3 Tsp) Or An Equivalent Quantity of Vinegar. Any Vinegar Will Do, But My Favorite One To Use is Apple Cider Vinegar
- A Generous Pinch of Salt
- Different Additives For Flavor:
- Dijon Mustard / Horseradish
- Minced Garlic
- Fresh Herbs (Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano)
- Pinch of Cracked Black Pepper / Crushed Chili Peppers
- Start with one fresh egg, taken straight out of the fridge, add to jar.
- Add the lime juice (or lemon juice or vinegar) and salt
- If you want to add mustard, garlic or other flavorings, now would be a good time
- Pour in one full cup of light tasting olive oil. Let the mixture sit for a few seconds, just long enough for the egg to settle down at the very bottom of the jar, underneath the oil
- Insert the immersion blender all the way to the bottom of the jar - press power and do not move the blender for a full 20 seconds. As the mayonnaise gets close to the top, start slowly raising the blender all the way to the top -- DO NOT take it completely out or mayonnaise will fly all over! Continue to move blender around to make sure that all the oil is mixed in.
***About the oil, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you use light tasting olive oil and NOT full flavor. The latter is way to strong for mayonnaise! You could, however, substitute avocado, macadamia, almond or walnut oil for some (or all) of the light tasting olive oil.