Turkey Soup with Orzo
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Onions - Chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves - Minced
- 3 lbs Turkey Wings - Cut at Joints
- 9 Cups Canned Low-Salt Chicken Broth
- 2 Tsp Oregano
- 1 28-oz Can Diced Tomatoes in Juice
- 3 Carrots - Peeled & Chopped
- 1 Cup Celery - Chopped
- 1 Cup Orzo (Rice-Shaped Pasta)
- 2 15-oz Cans Cannellini (White Kidney Beans) - Drained & Rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Thinly Sliced Fresh Basil
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; saute until translucent Add turkey wings, chicken broth and oregano. Cover; simmer over medium heat 1 hour.
- Using tongs, transfer wings to work surface; cool. Remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Mix meat into soup. Bring to simmer. Add tomatoes with juices, carrots & celery. Cover; simmer until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool soup slightly. Chill uncovered until cold. Keep chilled. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Add orzo; simmer, covered, until pasta is tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Mix in cannellini and basil; cook until heated, about 5 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
Bon Appetit (November 2000)