Dutch Split Pea Soup
- 2 Cups Dried Split Peas
- 6 Cups Water
Bring to a boil & skim. Add:
- 1 Large or 2 Small Carrots - Chopped
- ~2 Cups Celeriac - Chopped
- 2 Leeks - Chopped (1 Cup)
- 1 Small Yellow Onion - Chopped
- 1 Handful Chopped Celery Leaves (~1/4-1/2 Cup)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Beef Bullion Cubes
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
Cook on low 2-3 hours. When it starts getting thick mash with a potato masher. Add lean sliced sausage and continue to simmer. It will get thick and the next day thicker. The Dutch say the best is when you can cut it with a knife!
Serve with rye or pumpernickel bread.
Becky Meyer (2006)