Small Batch Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread
- 1/2 Cup Plus 2 Tbs Cornmeal (I used slightly coarse)
- 1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tbs All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbs Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 3 Tbs Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg - Lightly Beaten
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter - Melted
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and place a 5-inch cast iron skillet inside to heat while you make the batter.
- In a medium size or mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk in the milk, buttermilk, and egg. Whisk in almost all of the melted butter spread, reserving about 1/2 tablespoon for the skillet later on.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Add the reserved butter to the hot skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet (it should sizzle and butter should pool around it) and place it in the center of the oven. Bake until the center is firm and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes and serve.