Herbed Bread Stuffing
- 10 Cups 1" Cubes Crusty Country-Style Bread (1 lb.)
- 3 Medium Onions - Chopped
- 3 Celery Ribs - Thinly Sliced Crosswise
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Sage
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 1-1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Toast bread in a large shallow baking pan in middle of oven until just dry (25-30 minutes). Cook onion, celery, and herbs in butter in a large heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until celery is softened (about 10 minutes). Stir together bread, vegetables, browth, water, and salt & pepper to taste, then cool completely, uncovered.
Cooks' Note: You can make stuffing 1 day ahead and keep it covered and chilled. Makes about 12 cups.