Instant Pot Smoky Honey Cilantro Chicken
- 1 cup salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (optional, but delicious)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2-3 cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3-4 chicken breasts, more if using thin cut)
- Whisk together the salsa verde, honey, liquid smoke, chili powder, salt, dried oregano, cumin, garlic powder (or fresh garlic), smoked paprika, and black pepper.
- FOR THE INSTANT POT: Add the salsa verde mixture to the insert of the Instant Pot. Nestle the chicken into the sauce. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes before manually releasing the rest of the pressure. Shred the chicken with two forks (right in the Instant Pot). Stir in the fresh cilantro and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- FOR THE SLOW COOKER: Add the salsa verde mixture to the insert of a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Nestle the chicken into the sauce. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours. If the mixture starts to look dry during cooking, add 1/2 cup or so chicken broth to the slow cooker and continue cooking. Shred the chicken with two forks (right in the slow cooker). Stir in the fresh cilantro and add additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Serve the chicken as desired: tacos, enchiladas, burritos, over salad, etc.
- My preferred brand of salsa verde is Trader Joe’s, but I’ve also used Herdez with good results.
Mel's Kitchen Cafe