Slow Cooker Pulled-Pork Sandwiches
- 1 Large Yellow Onion - Halved & Sliced
- 3/4 Cup Jarred Tomato Salsa (Medium Heat)
- 1/3 Cup Plus 2 Tbs Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbs Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbs Chili Powder`
- Kosher Salt
- One 4-4.5 lb Bone-In Pork Shoulder - Trimmed
- 3 Tbs Tomato Paste
- Toasted Hamburger Buns for Serving
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, combine the onion, salsa, 1/3 cup of the vinegar, the brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, and 1 tsp salt. Add the pork shoulder and turn to coat. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the pork is fork-tender, 5-6 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the pork. Discard the bone and fat. Put 1 cup of the juices and onions in a large bowl. Whisk in the tomato paste, the remaining 2 tbs vinegar, and 1 tsp salt. Add the pulled pork and stir to combine. If the pork seems dry, add more juices as needed. Mound the pork on the toasted hamburger buns.
Fine Cooking (September 2010)