For the Scones:
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup & 3 Tbs Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbs Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Ground Ginger
- 6 Tbs Cold Butter - Cut into 1" Cubes
- 1/2 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
- 3 Tbs Half-and-Half
- 1 Large Egg
For the Powdered Sugar Glaze:
- 1 Cup Plus 1 Tbs Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbs Milk
For the Spiced Glaze:
- 1 Cup Plus 3 Tbs Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbs Milk
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Pinch Ground Ginger
- 1 Pinch Ground Gloves
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half-and-half and egg. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and form the dough into a ball. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a 1" thick rectangle about 4" by 12". Use a large knife to slice the dough making three equal portions. Cut each of the portions in an X pattern (four pieces) so you end up with 12 triangular slices of dough. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until light brown. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- While the scones are cooling, make the powdered sugar glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. When the scones are cool, use a pastry brush to spread plain glaze over the top of each scone. Allow to firm.
- While the powdered sugar glaze is firming, combine all of the ingredients for the spiced glaze. Drizzle over each scone and allow the icing to dry before serving (about an hour).
- You can freeze unbaked scones and enjoy hot from the oven scones any day of the week. Just freeze on a baking sheet until firm, tightly wrap in plastic wrap and place in a ziploc freezer bag. When ready to bake just pop into the oven straight from the freezer, no need to thaw. Just add a few more minutes to the baking time.
- If you don't like your scones as sweet, often we will skip making the plain powdered sugar glaze.
Yield: 12 scones