- 1/3 Tsp Peppercorns
- 1 Clove
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 3 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbs White Rum
- 1/2 Tsp Grated Lemon Rind
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 lb Whole Tilapia - Filleted
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbs Olive or Peanut Oil
- 1-1/2 Cups Julienned Mixed Vegetables (Such as Carrots, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Bell Peppers)
- In a dry skillet, toast the peppercorn and clove over medium heat until puffs of smoke begin to appear, about 1 minute. Transfer to a mortar and crush roughly.
- In a small saucepan, simmer sugar, soy sauce, rum, lemon zest, and lemon juice over medium heat. Add the peppercorn/clove mixture, ginger, and garlic powder, and reduce by half.
- Remove from heat, strain and let cool.
- Place the fish fillets in the cooled marinade and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat. Remove the fish from the marinade. Season the fillet with salt and pepper. Place the marinade in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and remove from the heat. Add the oil to the skillet, and saute the fillets for 2 minutes on each side. Divide the julienned vegetables into two piles on a baking pan. Place fillets on the vegetable beds and finish in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until done.
- Brush marinade on finished fish. Serve with vegetables as soon as possible.