Brazilian Chicken Curry with Spinach
- 1-1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1-1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1-1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 to 1-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 in boneless skinless chicken filets (or 3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut half lengthwise/butterfied)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped(could use drained canned diced tomatoes)
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- 4 cups (isfresh baby spinach)
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir together the turmeric, coriander, cumin, cayenne (use lower amount for less heat), salt and pepper in a wide, shallow bowl or plate. Pat chicken dry. Press chicken pieces in to the spice mixture to coat, then transfer to hot skillet. Cook, turning once, until browned, 6-8 minutes (Doesn't need to be completely cooked, at is will be returned to cook some more). Remove chicken to a plate and cover loosely with tin foil to keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in same skillet. Cook onion, ginger, jalapenos and garlic until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until tomatoes are softened. Stir in coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Return chicken to skillet and and juices. Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened slightly. Add spinach and stir in. Cook just until spinach is wilted. Taste sauce and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve over rice, if desired