- 1-1/2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Cup Light Cream
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 4 Extra-Large Egg Yolks
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbs Instant Espresso Coffee Powder Dissolved in 1 Tbs Milk, or 3 Tbs Brewed Espresso Mixed With 1 Tbs Coffee-Flavored Liqueur
- 1 oz White or Bittersweet Chocolate Pieces, or a Mixture (Optional)
- Espresso-Roast Coffee Beans or Edible Flowers (Optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, cream and sugar and stir to dissolve the sugar. Bring almost to a boil (190 degrees F.), then remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the egg yolks until blended. Stir a few tablespoons of the hot milk into the yolks. Then slowly pour the yolks into the hot milk, stirring constantly. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
- Immediately pour the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl to remove any lumps. Stir in the vanilla and one of the espresso mixtures. Let cool, cover and chill well, at least 2 hours.
- If desired, stir in the chocolate pieces, and then transfer to an ice cream maker. Turn on your ice cream maker and run till done!