- 8-oz Semisweet Chocolate (8 Squares)
- 3-oz Unsweetened Chocolate (3 Squares)
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 3 Large Eggs - At Room Temperature
- 1-1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1-1/2 Cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 1-1/2 Cups Toasted Walnuts - Chopped
- 1-1/2 Cups Toasted Pecans - Chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. and grease 3 cookie sheets.
- Melt the chocolate with the butter in a double boiler over simmering water. Cool to room temperature.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar in a mixer bowl until a ribbon forms when the beaters are lifted, about 10 minutes.
- Beat in the chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and stir into the chocolate mixture just until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!!!
- Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop batter by quarter cupfuls 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookies sheets (DO NOT FLATTEN).
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until barely firm and tops are just dry and slightly cracked.
- Cool on the cookie sheets for 2 minutes and then gently transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
These intensely chocolate cookies deserve their name --because of their shape, of course, and yours if you eat too many!
Yield: 25 Large Cookies
The Ladies Home Journal (April 1991)