Seared Tuna with Japanese Salsa
- 2 Tuna Steaks (big eye, yellowfin, or albacore; about 1-1/4 in. thick, 5 to 6 oz. each)
- 1 teaspoon minced or pressed garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 to 8 slices peeled avocado (3 to 4 oz. total)
- Rinse tuna; pat dry. Spread garlic on both sides of steaks; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour oil into an 8- to 10-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add tuna. Cook, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Pour sake and 1 tablespoon soy sauce around steaks; remove from heat. Let cool, turning fish often.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, lemon juice, and remaining tablespoon soy sauce.
- Lift tuna from sake mixture, reserving juices. Cut fish across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices and lay on plates. Garnish with the salsa and avocado slices. If desired, spoon pan juices equally over tuna (otherwise discard).