Herbed Bread Stuffing
- 10 cups (1-inch) cubes crusty country-style bread (1 lb)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Toast bread in a large shallow baking pan in middle of oven until just dry, 25 to 30 minutes. Cook onions, celery, and herbs in butter in a large heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until celery is softened, about 10 minutes. Stir together bread, vegetables, broth, water, and salt and pepper to taste, then cool completely, uncovered.
- You can make stuffing 1 day ahead and keep it covered and chilled.
Active time: 35 min Start to finish: 1 hr.
Yield: ~12 cups.